Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2016

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." Maya Angelou


Comments appreciated...

--------------------------------------
Your summative grades will start to appear in PowerSchool for your first piece 'Who Am I' It is easy to say, "I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know why I didn't get a higher grade." Instead, use a growth mindset and look at ways your work differs from the piece that is attached below. 

Sample 1- From Michael K.
Notice in this short piece, it is clear that Micheal is using 'reflection' writing to comment on how an event taught him (and hence us) something significant about him.



When I think of him felt so sad and heartbroken. But also this taught me how to deal with loss as I grieved and cried for him for days I finally figured out that I lost him and I need to move forward with the world and myself.


Sample 2 - From Anika


“So now that we’ve settled what we’re doing for the project, I think we should make an interactive display and,” her voice started becoming more and more distant by the second. The thing is that I wasn’t listening. My friend, Alice and I decided to finally agree on a project, she was ready to spend the whole night on the project. I ignored her though as I texted a cousin. “So when are you coming back here?” She texted. “Maybe next summer” I texted back. Suddenly, I snapped back into reality. “Got it?” Alice asked. I hesitantly nodded my head.
The next day she started working on the project, “Anika, you have to do the research,” she pointed out. Then I realized how I paid no attention to her, I didn’t want to ask her what to do because she’d either, lash out on me or just assume I forgot what to do and tell me. I felt extremely bad as I slowly walked up to her and asked her to explain what to do again. Thankfully, she explained exactly what to do again with a smile on her face. I never know, she could have lashed out on me as well if she wanted to, but instead, she was an amazing friend and helped me.

I learnt that disrespect happens when you offend a person, not when you decide it’s disrespect. I feel I did offend her in a way, by not listening to her.

In the future, I will pay more respect to people, but I’ve learnt that respecting makes you a better friend/family member/acquaintance ext. Respecting makes you instantly a better person in my opinion.

Respect, I feel this core value is super important and applies to everyone, including me. Respect is giving regard or concern to someone, it can also be simply listening to them while they talk instead of cutting them off. Someone you would want to give respect to is maybe a family member, teacher, friend or basically anyone. Everyone deserves respect.

Looking back, I’ve learnt that being disrespected and disrespecting someone both affect me as a person. “You don’t have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is,” (Red Harrison).

What moves is this writing making that you didn't? If you know the answer to this question - you know how to improve your grade.

SAMPLE 3 - Caroline

My Second Grade Story
       By Caroline Meredith E/F

         The classroom was quiet. All you could hear were second graders scribbling down words onto a clean sheet of white paper. I was one of those second grade students, determined to spell every single word correct because if I did, I wouldn’t have to take the real test next week. I was used to spelling every single word correct. I was proud of my great reputation as a speller, and I didn’t want that taken away from me. “That was the last word. Please bring your paper to the front,” my teacher announced, breaking the silence in the room. I pushed my seat back, walking to the front with confidence. My teacher looked at my paper, and then quickly wrote something down and held it in front of me.
         When I saw what was written, I panicked. There was a big “-1” circled in ink in the top right corner of my test. “Oh no!” I thought. I scrambled back to my desk to find my pencil. I hesitated but then decided in my head, “It’s only one letter.” I was glad that I realised my classmate’s paper was right beside me, so I looked to see how the word was spelled. I quickly erased the wrong letter and wrote down the right one. I ran up to the front and waved the paper in front of my teacher. “I looked back at my paper and I didn’t actually get this wrong,” I said as naturally as I could. I think she was rightfully questioning me in her head. “So isn’t this a one hundred, and I won’t have to take the test next week?” I asked. “Alright,” she said as she crossed out the big “-1” in the top right corner that I was so ashamed of. She handed it back to me. Who knew that that moment would be one that I would remember for the rest of my life? That moment built my character so much more than I could have imagined. “That was close!” I thought to myself as I walked back to my desk.
         Later that day a classmate walked up to me. “Did you get a one hundred on the pre-spelling test?” “Yes,” I said proudly and with a smile. “Did you?” I asked. “No.”
         As the days turned into nights and the nights turned into days, guilt washed over me. A dispute went on between my head and my heart, and both wanted control over the other. “What do I do?” I had a moment alone with my mom to discuss what had happened days earlier. “Mom, I have something to tell you,” I said as my face blushed red with embarrassment. “You know how we do pre-spelling tests at school?” My mom said, “Yes,” and I went on. “Well,” I paused. “I cheated on it because I didn’t want to take the test next week and I wanted everyone to think I was a good speller and now I feel really bad,” I said quickly as I could. “Have you talked to your teacher about it?” my mom asked in a comforting voice. “No. Can you? I’m scared to.” We discussed it and decided to email her.
           “Caroline, can you come here please?” my teacher asked in class later that week. My face turned red as a tomato again as I got out of my seat and headed toward the desk. “I got the email your mom sent.” The conversation continued. “I wish this day would be over. I’m so embarrassed,” I thought. “Just don’t do it again,” my teacher said as I stood up. I hurried to my desk, relieved that it was over. All the guilt, gone.
         As I look back to that day, I am glad that I had that experience. It made me better. I was able to learn when I was young that when we make mistakes, we can always find a way to fix them. When I do fix them, I feel so much better! Honesty is so important in our daily lives. By being honest we build trust, friendships, character, and relationships. Imagine what would the world be like without honest people. After all, mistakes may hold or tear us down in the beginning of the story, but in the end, they just build us up and let us fly.

Imagery Inner Thinking Reflection Figurative Language

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...